For all those cooks out there that like to do batch cooking for make ahead meals. I whipped a load of brown lentils that made enough for four meals that would serve four. I learned 3 cups of cooked lentils makes enough to serve 4 for sloppy Joes, meatless muffins, Italian meatballs, and taco meat.
Cooking Brown Lentils for Make Ahead Meals
By January 5, 2013Published:
- Yield: 16 Servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 25 mins
For all those cooks out there that like to do batch cooking for make ahead meals. I whipped a load of brown lentils that …
- 17 cups water
- 6 cups Brown Spanish Pardina lentils washed and drained
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon hickory liquid smoke
- In a large soup pot, stir together the water, lentils, onion powder, garlic powder, and liquid smoke. Bring water to a low boil over medium heat.
- As soon as the water begins to boil. REDUCE HEAT to low and cover. Cook with a low simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure the lentils cook evenly.
- It's very important not to cook the lentils too fast or they will burst and become mushy. Tender brown lentils should hold their shape, and have a tender bite.
- Remove cooked lentils from heat and allow to cool completely before storing in the fridge.