This my go-to recipe for making simple brown lentils to serve four people. I can season them for any dish I get the craving for later, Sloppy Joe Lentils, Meatless Muffins, taco filling, and Italian meatballs. When I feel like cooking several meals ahead a time, I’ll make a larger batch of lentils.
Brown Lentils in 20 Minutes
By February 9, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 3 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 23 mins
This my go-to recipe for making simple brown lentils to serve four people. I can season them for any dish I get the craving for …
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups Spanish Brown Pardina lentils rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- In a medium saucepan, heat water over medium-high heat until it comes to a simmer. Stir in lentils and bay leaf.
- When the water comes to a gentil boil, reduce heat to medium-low or lower. Cover with lid.
Set the timer for 20 minutes.
- Make sure the water is mildly simmering around the beans. Boiling will cause the beans to blow out and cook too quickly.
A very lazy simmer is what you want to keep the lentils in tact, still firm but tender to the bite.
- At the 15 minute mark, check the lentils for tenderness. They should have a tender bite but cooked through.
Sometimes I turn off the heat at 15 minutes and just allow the lentils to cool in the pan on their own. This helps in those time when I have trouble getting the water down to a lazy simmer and I worry the lentils will overcook.