Smoky BBQ Soft Tacos was inspired from a recipe out of The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall. I tried making exactly as directed in the book but I didn’t have all the same ingredients and had to wing it. You know how that goes, right?
The original recipe called for 3/4 cup barbecue sauce, I had to make a quick barbecue sauce. My sauce was a bit on the sweet side because I used molasses. We (hubby & I) felt the sauce needed a little heat, maybe next time I’ll give it a dash of Ancho chili powder. My son, however, thought the barbecue sauce was perfect and said “Don’t change it!”
What else? The original called for white wine vinegar. I had natural rice vinegar. It called for 1 red bell pepper, chopped and cooked tender with the onion. I only had roasted red bell peppers in the jar and tossed them in with the beans and remaining ingredients.
This is a great recipe I will happily make again, and again. I love all the colors and healthy bits. There’s no call for oil or salt. When you look at the amount of sodium for this recipe, it’s coming from the type of ketchup I use. I know that’s important for many of Simple Daily Recipes’ friends.
Give it a whirl and let me know what you think. ;D
Smoky BBQ Soft Tacos
By March 13, 2013Published:
- Yield: 6 to 8 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 30 mins
Smoky BBQ Soft Tacos was inspired from a recipe out of The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall. I tried making exactly as …
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu drained, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon natural rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon New Mexico chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup roasted red bell peppers chopped
- 1 cup black beans, cooked rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup frozen yellow corn
- 3/4 cup organic ketchup
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon New Mexico chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- romaine lettuce chopped
- tomato chopped
- In a medium bowl, toss cubed tofu, vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, and cumin together until well coated. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, bring 1/2 cup water to boil. Add onion and cook 8 to 10 minutes until tender.
- While the onion is cooking, whisk ketchup, molasses, liquid smoke, 1 teaspoon chili powder, onion powder, and pepper together to make barbecue sauce.
- Once the onions are tender, add roasted red bell pepper, black beans, rice, corn and barbecue sauce. Cook until all is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Add seasoned tofu and gently toss into the mixture. Continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes until tofu is heated through. Careful not to break apart tofu cubes.
- To serve, fill a tortilla with 1/2 cup of barbecue veggie mixture, and top with lettuce and tomato.
- Course: Main Dish