NOBODY, and I mean, NOBODY! has made a hominy recipe taste this AWESOME!
Hot or cold, this arrangement of hominy, green chilies, cilantro and tomatoes with chipotle peppers is very hard to stop eating. I read through so MANY hominy recipes that all seemed to be lacking in color and bright flavors. So, I went off on my own and put what I wanted to taste around the hominy AND I won my husband over to hominy! WOOHOO!
If you have the time, make this ahead, such as that morning or the day before serving. By day three, it's awesome cold! I totally see this recipe as a substitution for potato salad at a potluck luncheon or dinner.
HERE'S ALL IT TAKES
- 1 (36 ounce) can hominy, drained well
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped, mild green chilies
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes with chipotle peppers
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 slices of cooked bacon, chopped
- 3/4 cup light sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheddar cheese, just enough to add color on top
Heat oven to 350ºF degrees.
Mix all the ingredients together, EXCEPT cheddar cheese, in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour into an 8 inch x 8 inch pan. Top with shredded cheddar cheese, just enough for color. There's a lot of flavors in this dish, we don't want to smother them with cheese.
BAKE 25-30 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Allow to cool a bit before serving.
NOTE: When this first comes out of the oven, it will have a little liquid on the bottom. HOWEVER, if it has been allowed to sit in the refrigerator until the next day, the liquid is reabsorbed and will have a potato salad texture slash creaminess.
It reheats beautifully in the microwave at 80% power or eat it cold or room temperature. I eaten this all 5 ways,
- Fresh out of the oven
- Leftover hot
- Leftover cold out the frig
- Leftover room temperature
- Day three, eating what's left out of a cold pan
and this dish just kept getting better and better!