Yesterday, I shared a great way to pipe cake batter into a mini-muffin pan. Today is about the traditional yellow cake recipe and creamy frosting I used to make these Kid Friendly Delights.
FOR THE YELLOW CAKE
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup fine raw sugar
- 1/2 cup nondairy butter, softened
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 3/4 cup water, whisked together, set aside 5 minutes to thicken.
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray mini-muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Beat all ingredients on low speed, scraping bowl, 30 seconds. Beat on high speed, 3 minutes. Pipe batter into pan. See easy piping technique here.
Bake about 10-12 minutes, until top of cupcake if firm to the touch. Remove from pan and cool on rack. Frost with creamy icing.
CREAMY VANILLA FROSTING
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons nondairy butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 to 2 tablespoons nondairy milk
Mix all ingredients in electric mixer until smooth and spreadable.
This recipe will make 48 mini cupcakes EASY!
For the last two years, I set out a variety of fun food decorations and let the kids dress up their own cupcakes. These mini cupcakes gave my kids a chance to decorate MORE. They would take a frosted cupcake, dip it in sprinkles, and eat it. Then, they'd get another cupcake, sprinkle colored sugar on it, and eat IT. They had a BLAST! Not to mention an extreme sugar rush.