This creamy penne pasta and chikn was a HUGE HIT with the family, particularly my picky daughter. After two bites, my son asked if there was enough for leftovers. That should count for extra points, right?
The picture above shows the adult dinner; topped with sliced grape tomatoes and sprinkled with red pepper flakes. Naturally, I left them off the kiddo's plates. The cream sauce is flavored with onion slices and minced garlic cooked in margarine. It's mild and flavorful.
HERE'S ALL YOU NEED TO DO
- 2 1/2 cups penne pasta, cooked as directed
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 package Gardein chikn strips, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/3 cup onion, minced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups no-chicken base broth
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened soymilk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- red pepper flakes, optional
- grape tomatoes, sliced, optional
While the penne is cooking, melt margarine in a medium sauce pan. Cook chikn strips, garlic and onions, over medium heat, until onions have softened. Add flour and cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in broth, stirring frequently until sauce comes to simmer. Stir in soymilk. Season with salt and pepper. Allow everyone to spice up their own pasta with red pepper flakes. Top with sliced tomatoes.