I went flying by the seat of my pants on this recipe. Taken from my experiences with baking real meat meatballs and baking meatless meatloaf muffins, it was pretty easy coming up with a good Italian vegan meatball recipe. After baking in the oven for 15 minutes, these vegan meatballs turn out crispy on the outside, tender and moist on the inside. Perfect for spaghetti all covered with vegan cheese.
Go to COOKING BROWN LENTILS FOR MAKE AHEAD MEALS to get the recipe for cooking up a large batch of brown lentils to make 4 meals that serves 4 folks.
Italian Lentil Meatballs
By January 6, 2013Published:
- Yield: 36 (1-inch) meatballs (6 Servings)
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 25 mins
I went flying by the seat of my pants on this recipe. Taken from my experiences with baking real meat meatballs and baking …
- 3 cups brown lentils cooked
- 1/4 cup yellow onion minced
- 1 tablespoon Bragg's Liquid Aminos
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke
- 4 tablespoons buckwheat flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, stir lentils, onion, liquid aminos, oregano, and liquid smoke together.
- With a hand blender, blend half the lentils into a thick paste, leaving the other half for a meaty texture.
- Add buckwheat flour to mixture to help thicken into a cookie dough consistency.
- Using a 1-inch scooper, scoop out mixture onto a lightly oil baking sheet.
- Bake lentil meatballs for 15 minutes. Tops will look dry, bottoms will be golden brown. Insides should be moist and tender. If your oven runs hot, check at the 10 minute mark.
- Serve hot with meal, or allow them to cool and store in freezer bag to go in the freezer or fridge for eating later.
- To reheat, warm in oven set at 350F for 5 to 7 minutes. Or microwave for 30 seconds to a minute, depending on how many you're reheating.