This my go-to recipe for making simple brown lentils to serve four people. I can season them for any dish I get the craving for later, Sloppy Joe Lentils, Meatless Muffins, taco filling, and Italian meatballs. When I feel like cooking several meals ahead a time, I'll make a larger batch of lentils.
Brown Lentils in 20 Minutes
By February 9, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 3 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 23 mins
This my go-to recipe for making simple brown lentils to serve four people. I can season them for any dish I get the craving for …
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups Spanish Brown Pardina lentils rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- In a medium saucepan, heat water over medium-high heat until it comes to a simmer. Stir in lentils and bay leaf.
- When the water comes to a gentil boil, reduce heat to medium-low or lower. Cover with lid.
Set the timer for 20 minutes.
- Make sure the water is mildly simmering around the beans. Boiling will cause the beans to blow out and cook too quickly.A very lazy simmer is what you want to keep the lentils in tact, still firm but tender to the bite.
- At the 15 minute mark, check the lentils for tenderness. They should have a tender bite but cooked through.Sometimes I turn off the heat at 15 minutes and just allow the lentils to cool in the pan on their own. This helps in those time when I have trouble getting the water down to a lazy simmer and I worry the lentils will overcook.