This creamy minestrone soup is an inspired creation after reading Eat Vegan on $4 a Day by Ellen Jaffe Jones. Watch my cookbook review video on Ellen's superb, budget friendly book, here.
Creamy Minestrone Soup
By February 28, 2013Published:
- Yield: 6 to 8 Servings
- Prep: 8 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Ready In: 48 mins
This creamy minestrone soup is an inspired creation after reading Eat Vegan on $4 a Day by Ellen Jaffe Jones. Watch my cookbook …
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 head green cabbage chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups kidney beans, unsalted rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups white beans, unsalted (Cannellini or Great Northern) rinsed and drained
- 2 cups dried pasta (pick a pasta that cooks in less than 10 minutes)
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup unsweetened nondairy milk (optional)
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, cook onion, celery, and carrots in 1/4 cup water until onion is tender.
- Add red bell pepper, cabbage, garlic and dried parsley, plus 1/4 cup water if pan has run dry. Continue cooking until cabbage softens.
- Add kidney beans, white beans, and water. Bring water to a boil, then add pasta. Cook pasta until tender to the bite.
- Remove soup pot from heat. Stir in spinach and nondairy milk. Allow spinach to cook in hot soup for a few minutes in order to get tender.
- Note: This soup is fantastic without the nondairy milk. So if you don't have any on hand, it's no biggy. You don't need to adjust anything, just serve it up.