Vegan Green Enchiladas
By March 27, 2013Published:
- Yield: 5-6 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 35 mins
- Ready In: 45 mins
Vegan Green Enchiladas were born on the whim one crazy night and have been a family favorite dinner ever since. If you've not …
- 1 8-ounce package tempeh cut into short, 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 4-ounce Hatch green chilies mild & chopped
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- 1 15-ounce can Hatch Green Enchilada Sauce mild
- 2 avocados seeded & chopped
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Lightly oil 13 x 9-inch casserole dish. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1/2 cup water. Create a bottom layer with the onion, then layer the tempeh evenly on top. Cover, reduce heat to medium. Allow tempeh and onion to cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add bell pepper. Season with spices. If the pan is dry, add 1/4 cup water. Toss together and cook for another 5 minutes, until bell pepper is tender.
- Remove from heat. Stir in chopped green chilies.
- Time to roll the enchiladas!
To help make the corn tortillas easier to roll, warm the stack in a microwave for 30 seconds or up to 1 minute.
- Fill each corn tortilla with tempeh filling. Roll up and lay seam side down in dish. After you fill the dish, pour the green enchilada sauce evenly over the enchiladas.
- Slide casserole dish in oven. Use a small baking sheet turned upside down as a cover to the dish. Bake 20 minutes.
- Remove enchiladas from oven. Allow to cool a few minutes. Top with chopped avocados.