Chili Lentils Over Baked Potatoes - AWESOME. Have you ever tried chili or barbecued pinto beans over a baked spud? It's like being at a cook out without having to get out the grill. If you have the time, bake the potatoes in the oven to get the skins crispy and that authentic baked potato texture. However, if you're pressed for time, use the microwave to cook them tender.
For directions on making perfect baked potatoes, see "How to Bake Perfect Baked Potatoes."
Chili Lentils Over Baked Potatoes
By April 30, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
Chili Lentils Over Baked Potatoes - AWESOME. Have you ever tried chili or barbecued pinto beans over a baked spud? It's like …
- 4 medium russet potatoes baked, see link above
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 8 white button mushrooms chopped
- 2 1/2 cups cooked brown lentils
- 1/3 cup organic ketchup
- 2 teaspoons New Mexico chili powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke
- Cook potatoes as directed in the link provided above this recipe.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook onion and mushrooms in 3 tablespoons of water until tender.
- Add cooked lentils, ketchup, chili powder, garlic powder, and liquid smoke. Stir well. Simmer 10 minutes. If the mixture seems dry, add water one tablespoon at a time until loose, but not soupy.
- When ready to serve, cut potatoes into quarters then ladle about a half cup of chili lentils over the top.
- Serve with a leafy green salad or steamed broccoli.