This sweet potatoes recipe comes to us from Laura C., a loyal reader of SimpleDailyRecipes.com.
Laura says: "I served the sweet potatoes with slices of meatloaf (which my husband makes and is amazingly delicious) and green beans. Excellent."
Amended - from “Martha Stewart”
- 4 large sweet potatoes (approx. 2 lbs), pierced with the tines of a fork
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce, preferably homemade
- 1 teaspoon jarred minced garlic, ginger & hot chili paste
- 1 teaspoon of margarine or butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoons brown or white sugar or Splenda
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Arrange potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
Bake until tender, 1 hour 10 minutes to a 1 hour 20 minutes or bake in
microwave for half the time. Remove from oven; let stand until cool enough to
Sauté onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until golden brown; and set aside.
Cut each potato lengthwise. Scoop flesh into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted
with the paddle attachment; discard skins. Mix on medium speed until smooth.
Mix in onion, applesauce and garlic/ginger & chili paste; season with pepper.
Meanwhile, toss apples with sugar or Splenda in a bowl. Melt the butter or
margarine in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add apple mixture; cook, stirring
occasionally, until apples are golden and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
Top potato mixture with caramelized apples, and serve.