When I get in the mood for chickpeas or garbanzo beans, whichever side of the tracks you come from, I cannot get enough of them. I used to buy canned chickpeas until I learned to cook them in a pressure cooker. Nowadays, I keep home-cooked chickpeas stored up in the freezer ready and waiting for my next craving.
HERE'S WHAT I WHIPPED UP THE OTHER NIGHT
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 2 Serrano peppers, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 1/2 cups home-cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup homemade salsa or diced spicy tomatoes
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked rice
Heat the oil over medium heat in a medium size skillet. Cook together the onion, bell pepper, and zucchini, Serrano peppers, garlic powder, cumin, and chili powder until vegetables are tender. Add chickpeas and salsa. Cover and reduce heat to low until chickpeas are heated through. Serve over cooked rice.