This is one of those bean salad recipes you take to a family reunion or some other type of potluck occasion. It's better tasting at room temperature than chilled. As I ate on it for a couple days in a row, I kept splashing it with Tabasco sauce to give it a little kick.
You'll see in the list of ingredients this recipe calls for V-8 Juice. For anyone wondering what that is, it's a tomato based cocktail drink. One of those processed beverages made with a variety of vegetables juices. Using any tomato juice cocktail product will work. One that has a spicy flavor would be even better if you like your food on the spicy side. Also, this salad isn't salty. Having tortilla chips crumbled on top or a slab of fresh cornbread on the side really helps turn this side salad into a light supper.
HERE'S ALL IT TAKES
- 1 (15-ounce) can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 (5.5-ounce) can V-8 juice or tomato juice cocktail drink
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tortillas chips or cornbread on the side (optional)
Toss all the ingredients in a large salad bowl. Allow to stand for about half an hour so the flavors can marry up. Serve at room temperature with tortilla chips or cornbread on the side.