This is my new favorite bean salad recipe. I know it's got the word Christmas in it's name, but that's not going to stop me from making it anytime I feel like it. It's the balsamic vinegar that makes this low fat recipe work so well. And the next time I make it, I'm going to throw the green and red bell peppers on the grill first to get them good and smoky.
I've eaten this as a cold side to fajitas, all by itself at room temperature, and tossed with cooked brown rice. Christmas Bean Salad rocks all the way round!
HERE'S ALL IT TAKES
For 6 hungry folks
- 3 cups cooked Great Northern Beans or navy
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped with green tops
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried
In a large salad bowl, toss together beans, peppers, and onions. Whisk the orange juice, vinegar and basil together and pour over salad. Toss well for a good coating.
Let stand for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to marry up. Good made a day ahead.