Zippy Northern Bean Salad is really tomato salad with a can of Great Northern Beans tossed in the bowl. It takes no time at all to pull this simple low fat vegetarian salad together. I haven't tried it yet, but I'll bet if I cooked up some brown rice or quinoa and tossed it into the mix? It would make a fantastic light lunch for anybody.
OH OH OH! What if there was some hot, crunchy fried okra around ? Now THAT would be some awesome fixins for lunch. Or dinner. I'm not prejudice.
HERE'S ALL IT TAKES
enough for 2
- 1 medium fresh ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 cup white beans (Great Northern, navy or cannellini)
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 pinches fresh ground pepper
- pinch of salt
Toss everything together in a small bowl. Allow to stand for 15-20 minutes to let all the flavors marry up. Tastes even better the next day.