OH MY WORD! I could eat this salad EVERYDAY. I'm eating this salad right now as I type. Actually, I'm barely typing. I'm stealing a bite...get my fingers back on the keyboard...type a fews words while I chew...swallow...stop typing...scoop up another bite...
I'm singing to the salad! "What I like about you!..."
- your "light dressing" is still creamy good. Yeah!
- the crunchy-savory taste of sweet apple with the toasted pecans (pronounced puh cons)
- the juicy grapes with the crispy romaine lettuce
- the slight zing in the dressing from the yogurt and lemon juice which is keeping the mayo from tasting heavy
MAKE IT FOR YOURSELF and sing with me!
this is enough for 3 servings that would fill half of a dinner plate.
- 4 to 5 large Romaine lettuce leaves, washed and cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 medium apple (I like Gala), peeled, cored and cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, washed and halved
- 1/2 cup pecans
First, toast the pecans real quick. Heat the oven to 300ºF degrees. Scatter the pecans onto a cookie sheet. Bake/toast the pecans for 5 minutes.
Toss the lettuce, apple and grapes together in a large bowl. Lightly chop the toasted pecans and toss them into the mix.
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup Vegenaise (Vegan mayonnaise)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (I only had concentrate on hand this time. It worked out fine.)
Whisk the yogurt, Vegenaise, lemon juice together in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and give it a good toss. Make sure everything is coated with creamy goodness.
Grab a plate and fork and Chowdown!
This recipe made it to the table with help from this book...