This is one of my family's favorite plant-based meals. We have it once a week, well actually twice a week. My husband and I enjoy the leftovers for lunch. Anyhoo. I typically whip up black eye peas, carrots and collards in the pressure cooker. I've had several folks ask me how to make the wonderful meal without a pressure cooker. So here goes.
HERE'S ALL IT TAKES
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 carrots, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound frozen black eye peas
- 1 bunch collard greens, stems removed, leaves cut into 1/2-inch slivers
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Colgin liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, sauté onion and carrots in a thin layer of water until tender. Add black eye peas, collards, water, liquid smoke, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer for 12 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until beans and greens are tender. Serve with fresh, hot cornbread pancakes.