Mouth watering and full of fresh flavors, this soup was an instant winner with the family. My son loved the soft chunky tomatoes and rice; I loved the fresh cilantro and chickpeas - OH it was ALL GOOD!
HERE'S ALL IT TAKES
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 oz) can cooked chickpeas or 1 1/2 cups home cooked chickpeas
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 can (14oz) diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and fresh ground pepper
In a large pot over medium heat, cook onion until soften. Add garlic, chickpeas, water, cooked rice, tomatoes, paste, and dried parsley. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add in chopped cilantro, season with salt & fresh pepper to taste. Remove from heat, let stand for about 7 to 10 minutes to blend the flavors. Soup will thicken up, too. You're ready to eat!
Tastes wonderful with fresh baked bread on the side.