Cheesey Zucchini and Squash goes WAY BACK for me. I started eating it as a filling with pita bread, back in the days when I lived single and poor in Fort Worth. I would eat cheesey zucchini & squash when I grew tired of egg salad sandwiches. Those two recipes kept me going.
Today, I eat it as a side dish. I'll either make it spicy with green chilies or mild with thin slivers of onion. It's very good with jalapeno jack cheese when I don't have green chilies on hand.
SO HERE'S ALL IT TAKES
- 1 small green zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 thin slice of yellow or purple onion
- 1 tablespoon mild green chilies, optional
- 2 ounces Monterey Jack or Jalapeno Jack cheese, shredded
Place the cut zucchini, squash and onion in a medium sized, microwaveable bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or a saucer. Microwave on high for up to 2 minutes. VERY CAREFULLY, remove cover. Add green chilies and shredded cheese. Return to microwave uncovered, heat for up to 30 seconds until cheese is melted. Allow to cool a minute or two before serving.
This makes a small serving for two or a healthy heap for one.