I came up with smoky vegetables over pasta on the fly. After coming home from the farmers' market totally famished, I stir fried a few veggies in my cast iron skillet and seasoned them with liquid smoke and fresh herbs. Having leftover pasta in the fridge was a plus to making this a super quick lunch.
HERE'S ALL IT TAKES
enough for 3 servings
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 to 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh Greek oregano, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- cooked pasta for 3
- 1 to 2 tablespoons flaxseed oil
- salt and pepper to taste
In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic, oregano and liquid smoke; cook until onions are tender. Remove from heat.
Toss in fresh chopped parsley. Toss vegetables with cooked pasta. Season with oil, salt and pepper.