Garbanzo Beans n Swiss Chard n Tomato Sauce is a meal for anyone wanting heart healthy recipes without salt and full of flavor. I'm so glad this simple vegetarian recipe serves 6. I was able to go back for seconds knowing I would have enough for tomorrow's lunch, too.
HERE'S ALL IT TAKES
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste without salt
- 2 large bunches Swiss chard, stems discarded, leaves slivered
- 4 cups cooked garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 2 cups no-salt vegetable broth or water, hot
- zest from 1 lemon
- juice from 1 lemon
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook onion with turmeric powder in enough water to cover the bottom of the pan; simmer 8 minutes until onion has softened.
Stir in garlic, parsley, cumin and tomato paste; cook on low heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
Add Swiss chard, garbanzo beans, and hot broth to pan. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until swiss chard has wilted and tender, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat. Top individual servings with grated lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon. (Don't skip the lemon. It helps distract you from the lack of salt.)