When it comes to salads, I have a tendency to stick with my favorite vegetables and fruits. The only area I try to make it different, to avoid boredom, is toppings and dressings. This week, I discovered the wonderful addition of finely chopped cashews. It's amazing how cashews can take the place of cheese in the salad. The trick is making sure the nuts are finely chopped, the finer the cheesier.
HERE'S ALL IT TAKES
Enough for 2
- 1 Romaine lettuce heart, roughly chopped
- 1 small broccoli crown, separated into bite size pieces
- 1 small orange bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 handfuls assorted cherry-type tomatoes
- 2 to 4 slices red onion
- 1/3 cup raw cashew pieces, finely chopped
Toss everything together in a large bowl. Serve with your favorite healthy dressing.
HERE'S AN OIL-FREE DIJON DRESSING RECIPE
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Whisk the vinegar, mustard and garlic together in a bowl.
The Dijon Dressing recipe comes out of The Engine 2 Diet: The Texas Firefighter's 28-Day Save-Your-Life Plan that Lowers Cholesterol and Burns Away the Pounds.
The nutrition facts are for the salad WITHOUT dressing.